WHAT IS #GIVINGTUESDAY?
On #GivingTuesday, millions of people come together to support and champion the causes they believe in. Following two days of deals – Black Friday and Cyber Monday – #GivingTuesday is a reminder of the “reason for the season.”
#GivingTuesday, celebrated on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, takes place this year on Nov. 27. Every act of generosity counts, and each means even more when we give together!
HOW TO CELEBRATE #GIVINGTUESDAY
#GivingTuesday is a great time to rally your friends and family to help make a big difference. In 2014, supporters funded 754 bicycles. In 2017, supporters raised the bar with an incredible 1,617 Buffalo Bicycles. Through our match, that meant 3,234 students empowered! These incredible #GivingTuesday efforts prove that when passionate people come together, their collective spirit can create real impact.
This year, our #GivingTuesday goal is to empower 1,500 students with bicycles. You can join our #GivingTuesday movement to spread The Power of Bicycles far and wide.
1. CELEBRATE BY FUNDRAISING FOR WBR
What inspires you to make a difference? Use your unique talents and interests to bring your friends, family and community together. Tap into your network to call on your community to fundraise for World Bicycle Relief. From bake sales to art auctions, there are many ways to fundraise for WBR. Here are some #GivingTuesday ideas to help you get started:
Simple Fundraising Ideas with Friends and Family
- Hosting Thanksgiving or a dinner gathering? Tell your guests to skip buying the wine and request donations instead. If you invite 10 guests and they each give $14.70, you can donate one bicycle.
- On Thanksgiving, if you are volunteering with your family, consider making this event a fundraiser. Ask others to support your family’s local efforts with funds to empower students globally.
- Skipping Black Friday shopping? Can’t make it to the Turkey Trot? Spend some time outdoors by creating a sports challenge for WBR. Invite others to join a game (of whatever sport you like) where each person donates to join. Award the winner with a treat and the glory.
- Bake for your neighbors. Thank your neighbors by leaving baked goods on their doorstep with a tag or card. Ask them to thank you back with a gift to your fundraising page.
Easy Fundraising Suggestions for Work
- Organizing an office potluck? Make extra food. Then, invite coworkers who didn’t make food to join the fun with a $10 donation.
- Donations for donuts! Try bringing in fresh bagels or donuts and coffee. Ask for $5 donations in exchange for breakfast.
- Is your office having a holiday party? Ask those who are planning it to make it about giving back, too. Your company may decide to forgo certain extravagances to donate. Or, they may allow you to set up a fundraising table.
- Leave a donation jar out for the week leading up to #GivingTuesday.
Need more help? You can always check out our fundraising toolkit for extra event-planning support.
2. CELEBRATE BY DONATING TO WBR
Give the gift of independence and mobility. With our 1:1 match, you will be able to double your impact on #GivingTuesday. For 24 hours, a $147 gift of one bicycle will provide two bicycles to students who need them. Our studies show that one bicycle can impact the lives of up to five individuals. You can also set up recurring donations to make an impact month after month.
3. CELEBRATE BY GETTING SOCIAL
#GivingTuesday relies on the power of social media to amplify charitable giving and actions. Use the #GivingTuesday and #PowerOfBicycles hashtags to raise awareness for our cause. Encourage your network to take part and share details about your own #GivingTuesday contributions. Through social media, you can amplify our goal to mobilize 1,400 students with bicycles.
Whether you host a fundraiser, donate or spread the word on social media, you can make this year’s #GivingTuesday the best one yet!